Make Way for the New

boy playing jenga


It isn't the same without you here.
I miss your kind gaze, long stories, passion for your students.
I was your biggest fan.
I miss the cramped and crowded office you hated,
Studded with pictures, quotes, and pieces of life you had found along the way.
Leaving a piece of yourself with every student,
Every person you met,
It is a wonder you didn't fall apart, stretched too thin,
Parts flying everywhere, falling from the sky like
Blocks from a Jenga game,
Hitting people with bits of realization.
I know you're better off without us now,
Clamoring for your attention,
But it's hard at times.

Now your office is sparse and broken.
The pictures,
Quotes,
Pieces of life,
Have been torn down to make way for the new.
And when the new guy puts his feet on your desk,
It is all I can do not to scream.

You Might Also Like

0 comments