Yellow

We don’t give thanks in the usual way,
With a yellow turkey stuffed full.
There are no children gone astray,
And family prayers are null.

We don’t celebrate around a golden feast,
A table for ten, and some cranberry wine.
We don’t take a steely knife to the beast,
That would be crossing a line.

“How can you have a Thanksgiving
If you don’t eat or have the day off?
Why, that’s not even living,”
Said the boy with a scoff.

We don’t give thanks in the usual way,
So I’m sitting here surrounded by yellow candy wrappers strewn about my yellow sleeping bag in a yellow hotel room, picking at my yellow teeth with my yellow fingernails, trying in vain not to contemplate the connotations of the color yellow.

chicken on tray

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. That is undoubtably the strangest most interesting poem I have ever read
    I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete