Overconfident

lit bonfire in closeup photography

Since I have been a small child, 
I’ve been told to keep my head up,
To never shrink or be mild, 
To face the sky with certainty.

I’ve been told to build up health, 
Through hard exercise and diet. 
I’ve been told to love myself, 
So that the world will love me too.

I’ve been told to speak aloud,
Sparking embers with a few words. 
I’ve been told to tame the ground,
With my every passing footstep.

I’ve listened to my teachers, 
I have held my head up too high, 
I’ve cared too much for features, 
I have set fire to the world.

Now, only able to rise, 
Soaring with the world in my palm, 
I saw my life built on lies.
I can't stop the fires I spread.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. this poetry demonstrates the paradox between what people tell you and what is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* That makes a lot of sense, especially with how I worded it.

      I've missed this poem. xD

      Delete