MY Pros and Cons List (Poetry)

woman leaning on gray fence

MY Pros and Cons List

Original Poetry by Asche Keegan

 

For a moment

I think I fell in love with myself
Through the sassy shake of my head
Serenading my detrimental determination
With a complete and utter lack of dread.

I think I fell in love with my stubbornness
When I stepped all over my toes
And laughed at hours spent staring
At the blood from a broken nose.

I think I fell in love with my beauty
From blonde braids swishing behind my shadow,
My glasses gleaming in grim light, and
A gangly form I may never outgrow.

I think I fell in love with my ambition
My sweat slapping the steps I trod
My goals are lofty lists of length
But I will complete them, no matter how odd.

I think I fell in love with my reason,
The mathematical figures driving digits
Through my head and analytical decisions
Politics and divination, calculated in minutes…

I think I fell in love with my emotional highs
But loved my emotional lows all the more.
While one is silver, the other’s gold,
They show me what my friends are for.

I fell in love with my rebellious side
A running, rumbling, wild red-head
Shouting in the streets for change
Justice is her mantra, though “Love!” is what she said.

I fell in love with my undying loyalty,
My devotion to my friends.
I fell in love with my “family baggage”
Though I always hope it ends.

I fell in love with politics,
The push and pull of debate
The calm collected competition
Translucent triumphs left not to fate.

I fell in love with my God
Through the glory of a song
His luminous love lit my soul
I want to sing for Him all day long.

For a moment

I fell in love with myself
All my strengths and weaknesses
Highs and lows; Joys and sorrows
My praises and my grievances.

For a moment

I fell in love with independence!
I fell in love with joy!
I fell in love with love itself—
But instead I fell for a boy.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This is a powerful poem, full of fascinating ideas, amazing phrases, and ending with a bang that all young women should take to heart.
    That picture you picked is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. :D

      Delete
  2. This. Thisthisthisthisthis. Yes. This is absolutely beautiful, and I love everything about it. The amazing ideas, the fantastic phrasing, the sweet symbolism, everything. It's super powerful, and you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete