What I See in Your Eyes



What I See in Your Eyes

Our love is like 

                          t h u n d e r

Howling on the seafront
While a tornado tears towards the heavens, snarling
And fish burrow deeper into the depths, serene
And waves wage war against the beach, slashing
And shells scatter on the sand, searching
And gulls cry out a thousand shouts, before disappearing. 

And the beach has cleared out,
Minus a single person - that's me -
Walking towards the tornado - that's you.
And that's what it feels like sometimes,
When my hair whips backward, caught in gusts
Far too heavy for me to bear alone.
When your eyes carry me to places I've never been before
The misty blue of a sea battling itself, foam flying.
But when I wade into the waves, the storm calms me.
It wraps me in a cocoon of gentle tides, lapping at my knees.
I play in the surf as it comes in, falling into the water,
Letting it soak me to my skin, kiss me again and again.
I feel safe here, like no one could ever take me away from you. 

That's what it feels like to love you.
Thunder in every gaze,
Swelling tides in every touch.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. "Minus a single person - that's me -
    Walking towards the tornado - that's you."
    This is my favorite part in the poem, and yet the whole piece has such a feeling of NEWNESS about it. I've never read something quite like that - the way you end every line with a word emphasized in description - that is so ingenious, I will have to try it. :D
    Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete