Wild Blackberries

 

Wild Blackberries

Tell it to my brain, dear, not my heart.
That rhapsody of strings has long since
Been rendered false discordant art
Under whose banner even fools wince. 

I don't lift mediocrity high,
Purely for the fun of flaunting it.
Rather, I want to skip the old lie
The one before we learn we don't fit.

Please don't fill my mind with romance
Because, Lord, are your words tormenting me.
I'm beleaguered by kisses, another chance
For you to chase me down, set me free. 

But no, I don't want to love you that way,
Eating wild blackberries in worn out fields
Caught up in the magic of every word you say.
Begging you to return the heart you healed.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is so atmospheric - I can feel the presence of the landscape, even though it's only mentioned in one line. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete